Pages

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Wow! This will make you feel small: The Great Clarksville Flood of 2010

There just are no words to describe a catastrophe such as this. And it is so crazy how powerful nature is. The Cumberland river rose an almost unthinkable amount. I have never seen water rise as much or as rapidly as the river did. Although we personally weren't affected by the floodwaters, it is really humbling to see the devastation it caused. It is such a reminder that our life here is so brief and that our 'stuff', our material possessions we are so proud of can be taken from us in the blink of an eye. Now this is in no way to make others' loss in the flood seem trivial, but man, it's just stuff. We work so hard to accumulate all kinds of things that we think once we obtain we will finally be satisfied, but they can be taken away just like that. Truthfully though it's hard to imagine being at a place in your spiritual walk where you could lose all your material possessions and be completely ok with it because you know your inheritance lies in God's Kingdom (the story of Job ring a bell?) As easy as it is for me to say that we shouldn't be so concerned with our 'stuff', I can't honestly say that I think if I were to lose every single thing I have that my initial reaction would be to worship God joyfully. I'm not totally there yet but I pray God's love would continue changing me more and more to the likeness of His Son, that I would not be so obsessed and concerned with all my 'stuff' and that I would have a heart that desires to give, and to give wholeheartedly, sacrificially, and joyfully.

It's all just such a reminder that Christ calls us to give, not to hoard. After all, everything we have is given to us by God, and God calls us to give:

But who am I, and who are my people,
That we should be able to offer so willingly as this?
For all things come from You,
And of Your own we have given You.
-1 Chronicles 29:14

This massive flood also brings something else to mind, that our life here on earth is so short, and not only that, but it can literally end in the next 2 minutes. You or I could die before you finish reading this. Christ could return before you finish this sentence.
LITERALLY. I think sometimes we get this idea that yea, Christ is coming back, but it won't be until well after we've at least had grandchildren. But He's coming. He's coming soon and there is so much work to do for His Kingdom! Let this be a reminder to us to quit hoarding, start giving, and start living wholeheartedly for Christ and His Kingdom, in complete abandonment for everything this world stands for.

















0 comments:

Post a Comment